Wednesday 29 January 2014

(ARC) Book Review (301): Maybe One Day - Melissa Kantor


Maybe One Day

Pages: 400
Genre: Contemporary
Age Appropriate: Young Adult
What an emotionally heartfelt and heartbreaking book this turned out to be,  full of so much emotion that the author has wrung out of this tragic story, as I was left ugly crying into the last few pages of this book.

I have a love/hate relationship with these kinds of book, I end up so devastated at the end that I feel like I've lost that person as well, and the tragedy of having someone so young be the one diagnosed with cancer is so extremely saddening (not that it's any less sadder if it's an older person, but they've at least got to live a little, when you're sixteen there's not really a whole lot in life yet that you've had the chance to get to do).

And always in books like this the heroine/ hero is left  lamenting the things that they'll never, ever get a chance to do with their lives, thats when the tears start and I end up a sobbing mess.

It also helps to have likeable characters, and you'll certainly find them in this story best-friends Zoe and Olivia, since they met when they were four they've been inseperable ever since, but after Olivia goes to the Doctor with flu-like symptoms and is diagnosed with cancer, we get to see the impact that this news will have on their friendship and their plans for the future.

I'm tearing up writing this review just thinking about this book, it's hard to put into words how much this story affected me emotionally , it really made an impact, and I won't be forgetting this book anytime soon.

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for other Melissa Kantor releases, her writing is beautifully done and she's a fantastic storyteller.

Highly recommended for any contemporary fan.

I give this 5/5 stars.


 I was born in New York City in 1970. And even though teachers never care about this, I'll give you my sign--Capricorn. 
When I was in seventh grade, I told people I was going to be a writer. Then in college I got interested in other things, and after I graduated I started teaching, which I love. But ideas for stories kept popping into my head. One was an image of two girls walking down Montague Street (that’s the main drag in Brooklyn Heights) during their lunch period. They were best friends, only one of the girls was cooler and prettier and more successful with boys than the other one. They were talking about a party they’d been invited to, trying to decide if they wanted to go or not. Finally I decided I had to know what happened to them. Those girls became Jan and Rebecca, and their story is Confessions of a Not It Girl.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful. Not that jazzed about how similar it is to Fault in Our Stars but I'll give it a shot, especially since it seems more friendship-based.

    ReplyDelete