Wednesday 27 June 2012

(ARC) Book Review (103) Temptation - Karen Ann Hopkins


Temptation (Temptation #1)


Publication:1st July 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen Australia
Pages: 383
Genre: Contemporary/Romance
Age Appropriate: Young Adult 
Your heart misleads you.  That's what my friends and family say.  But I love Noah. And he loves me.  We met and fell in love in the sleepy farming community of Meadowview, while we rode our horses together through the grassy fields and in those moments in each other's arms. It should be  ROSE & NOAH forever, easy. But it won't be. Because he's Amish. And I'm not.
My Thoughts.
They say that forbidden fruit is the sweetest, you always want what you can't have!
A tale of two people from totally different worlds meet and fall in love, and do everything they can to stay together, they'll defy their families to be with one another, this is a Romeo and Juliet story set  in our time.
This book gives you an insight into the Amish community that you never really read about.
I'd noticed this book around quite a bit on Goodreads before I received my review copy and I was a bit hesitant to add it to my list of books that I want to read, I think it was the subject of being about Amish people, (I don't agree with their ways at all) that made me ignore it, and then I received a copy in the mail and I though alright I'll at least give it a go and I found that I loved it!
It was a case of love/lust at first sight for Rose and Noah, after moving into Meadowview with her father and two brothers Sam and Justin after the death of her mother they are greeted by their Amish neighbours and invited to dinner.
And it's at dinner that Rose realises the differences between both the families (where the Amish still think it's the 1800's, and while they say they care about their women they are treated like they don't exist, all they seem to be there for are to do housework and produce a heap of kids as they don't believe in birth -control, and are made to stand in line at meals while the men fill their plates and only then after they've sat down can they then go and eat themselves).
I can go on and on because the subject really gets me riled up, and while I can understand that Rose and Noah are in love and want to be together he expects her to make all the sacrifices and tries to get her to act as a proper Amish woman should.
 So because I was getting frustrated with all the male chauvinism I just tried to ignore the fact of who Noah was and concentrated on the romance between the two instead, after admitting their feelings to each other they both had to resort to sneaking around to be able to see each other, of course Sam finds out and isn't happy about the fact that they're together hoping that it's just a fad and that they'll break up.
As I said I did love this book for the romance only, Rose and Noah make such a sweet couple and you're cheering them on the whole way through.
I'm interested to know what happens in the next book after what happens at the end of this one, and to see how this whole relationship plays out.
I give this 4/5.
A Big Thanks To Harlequin Teen Australia.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book!!! Awesome review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book too, though I was similar to you - I didn't think I'd end up enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete